Tuesday, September 9, 2014

College Students and Pets

This topic is something that I can relate to being that I am a dog owner of two dogs right now while being a student. Many people will frown upon college students having pets while in school because they feel as if they are not fully prepared for the expenses and amount of responsibility that it takes to own a pet. I agree with this thought somewhat as I have seen many pet owners either have to get rid of their pets or simply not take care of their pets properly. While in college you do make some very quick decisions on impulse without fulling thinking the whole process out. I admit when I got my first dog it wasn't really thought out or accepted by the adults around me. Thankfully though all has worked out and I currently have two healthy loving dogs at college while being away from my home in New York City. At times it does get difficult having to juggle school, work, my personal life and having to take care of my dogs, but I wouldn't change anything I love coming home to the two of them and being able to provide and take care of them properly. It is always great to see them run around and play with each other every single day.

What made me want to write about this topic was posts that I've seen online and people in my neighborhood here in Plattsburgh being rude and condescending while I have been walking my dog around my block. Just this summer I had a resident in my area take photos of my dog and me while we were walking because he thought that my dog had gone to the bathroom on his lawn which she didn't and I also always carry bags to pick up anything that is done outside. The situation bothered me because being the responsible dog owner that I am I would prefer to be able to walk around without feeling like I am being watched or judged for the simple fact that I am young and own dogs. I know that this comes from the people around me who do not properly care for their dogs which is unfortunate because it gives other dog owners a bad look. Though many people will always judge before knowing any situation it is unfortunate that others have to suffer because of the carelessness of other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment