Saturday, September 13, 2014

Last minute customers

This is something that really bothers me and makes me wonder why people do this sometimes. So imagine this you're at your job 2 minutes before closing and BOOM! You get a rush of people into your store who decide to walk around and stand around while you're trying to close up and head home after a long tiring day. You can't clean or lock up the store because that would be considered rude and look unprofessional. With this group of people now standing around in the store not deciding what they want to do you get another group of people and yet another. Once they have decided what they want to do finally, they decide to stick around and eat/talk, looks like you're going to be here a little while longer watching them and listening to their pointless conversation that could be had somewhere else.  

Your store clearly has the time that it closes posted on the door yet people just continue to walk in, so what do you do in this situation? It's a very frustrating feeling when you really just want to close up and get home, but you're forced to deal with it. Now the people who I know would be able to sympathize with this post are people who have actually worked in a retail or food environment. In my mind I always wonder what makes a customer feel that they have 1 minute to walk around and do whatever they want just because we don't close till a certain time. Yes we don't close until that time, however naturally the people in the store are preparing to close if business is slow and having you walk in right before closing sets them back another 15-20 minutes sometimes even an hour or more. 

Now I'm all for that joyous moment of I made it before closing when I thought I wouldn't, BUT I'm not for the whole I'm just gonna sit here and take my time because I have nothing else to do. The same way it looks rude that a store is cleaning around you while you're eating or standing there is the same way you look rude when you decide to walk in at closing and hang out. Now I may sound like I'm complaining which I am somewhat, but you would have to be in one of those situations or experienced it to understand what I am talking about. Yeah you can say the customer comes first, but what about the employees who are also human and have lives do they not matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment