This blog is for Joel Pantoja's SUNY Plattsburgh CMM 360: Interactive Journalism class. On this blog you will find various pieces written by me on various topics during my time at Plattsburgh. I am a Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations major at SUNY Plattsburgh.
Friday, October 31, 2014
Campus Safety
With what happened on Tuesday with the suspicious package on campus, I've thought to myself do we really have the proper way to notify students or faculty of an emergency? I say this because I was in class while the situation took place and the only way I found out what was going on was through a text message I received on my phone and also a phone call. Now this doesn't really help because some professors don't want you to look at your phone during class or even have it out. Other students in class received the notification through email and again checked it on their phone. Now this is not really safe because what if this was a class where we could not check our phones we would have been there not knowing what was going on right outside the building (our class is in Feinberg near the computer lab). What I think should be done for emergency notifications in the future is a phone call to the classroom or something to notify the professors so that they can notify the students. I say notify the professors because my professor had no idea what was going on, we had to stop him mid sentence to tell him we had to evacuate the building. The text messages, phone calls and emails are great ways of notifying people of emergencies, but it doesn't always work out to be the best solution to our problems because cell phones do lose service and do die. I just wonder what could be done to better announce emergencies in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment