So as many people may know already during Apple's recent event they also announced that all iTunes users would be receiving U2's new album for free. I thought nothing of it cause I figured you would be given the option to download it if you wanted to or not. So fast forward a couple days later and it's time to update to iOS 8 (which has been giving me more problems than anything since I downloaded it) in order to be able to download it I had to make space on my phone. So I began to delete apps, photos, and my music since I could just put it back onto my phone afterwards.
Well as soon as I put my stuff back onto the phone there goes the new U2 album in my library of music without my doing. So I try deleting it and nothing happens, but I'm able to delete my own music without a problem. So after numerous attempts to delete the album from my phone I finally decided to google how to get the album off your phone and what I found surprised me, I had to actually use a tool that Apple created to remove the album from my phone. Apple had received such negative feedback from their decision to give everyone this album for free that they actually had to make a tool to delete it.
I found this surprising and interesting that something that started out as a free gift to users became such an issue that they were forced to do something about it. I mean this was great for U2 fans since they received an album for free that they were otherwise going to purchase, but it would have saved a lot of time and online bashing had Apple just given users the option to download the album or not. A free gift is a free gift, but when it causes so many issues and backlash it just gives you a bad image, but it's Apple people will soon get over it and forget all about it.
If anyone needs help removing the album from their iTunes account here is the link to remove it from there, all you need to do is enter your Apple id and password! http://itunes.com/soi-remove
Well this blog just helped to solve my confusion behind U2's album being on my iPhone without my purchasing it. When I first saw the albums on my phone I was so nervous. I thought somehow someone hacked into my apple account and was purchasing music. When I found out the songs weren't charged, I just decided to keep them. They're for free, and I'm always open to hearing new music.
ReplyDeleteI actually thought this was really weird. Free should mean that you have a choice on the matter, right? This is as if you went to a buffet and you could choose whatever you want, but you HAVE to have space on your plate for brussel sprouts even though you don't like them, but they're free so you shouldn't complain. So inconvenient.
ReplyDelete